Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Last Five Years

I didn't go into this expecting a really great narrative. For me, this show is just a concert with two really great singers. And that's what it was. I think if you wanted a real musical with a strong plot, you will be thoroughly disappointed.

Adam Kantor and Betsy Woolfe did not have great chemistry but their voices are out of this world. So separately they were amazing, but the few moments they came together onstage were severely lacking in intensity.

I'm not in love with all the music in this show. I think there are a few songs that are out of this world amazing and then others that are just "eh" -- like a few songs are great to listen to for fun, but then some that you wouldn't turn to for kicks and giggles (at least not me). But when sung through in 90 minutes, everything works because you can pick up on the little riffs that repeat throughout.

The set was FABULOUS, and the staging was fun.

Second Stage is a great venue and perfect for this kind of show. It didn't hurt that Jason Robert Brown was sitting two rows in front of me... #starstruck.



No comments:

Post a Comment