Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Songs For a New World

More Jason Robert Brown! And this is my absolute FAVORITE. Where with Last Five Years I don't love every song, I LOVE EVERY SONG in Songs For a New World so much.

It was an interesting night. At 6:40ish we got to XL Cabaret and waited on line went to the box office but instead of getting tickets we were just checked off a list. After a series of ushers checked my name off the list, we went inside the venue and were told that the standing room section was just anywhere in the carpeted area. Around 7:15 the first announcement that they were holding for technical difficulties happened. At 7:30 there was another announcement that they were still having trouble. Then the director, Jeff Calhoun, got onstage and started telling jokes. He brought up each performer one by one and took questions from the audience. The four performers were gracious about answering a few questions and trying to keep everyone happy and excited. It was amazing. It's like you hear about this kind of stuff happening, but you're never there when it does... and FINALLY I was there. So great. Also, the audience was mostly industry people so that was fun so look around and try to spot people I recognized. They'd added another show at 9:00 since the first one sold out, and that show didn't end up starting until after 10:30 because of the situation!

The show finally started a little after 8. And it was worth the hour and a half I spent standing and waiting. It would've been worth five hours of standing and waiting. It was that good. So unbelievable.

The greatest thing about standing for this show was that there were so few people standing we could move around and see everything. Also, the performers moved throughout the space, standing on tables and singing while moving through the audience. This was fun to watch, but even more fun to experience... they would wait by the stairs between songs and I would turn and Michael James Scott would be standing two inches away from me preparing to go on. Dying. Fan-girling.

Nick Adams has one of my favorite voices in the industry right now. He's so magical. So that was fun. But I don't know when the last time I heard four people sound this good singing together. It was insane. My favorite things in a room all at once -- people belting their faces off, theater industry people, and Songs For a New World.

The perfect evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment