Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kinky Boots

This season there has been a serious lack of new musicals on Broadway -- or at least it certainly seems that way. I didn't know what to expect going into this show. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. But it was fabulous and I want to see it again and I want everyone I know to go see it.

There were things that still needed to be worked on -- it was obvious the show was still in previews. A few mic problems here and there, a few awkward transitions, and the book could use a little help, but the audience definitely enjoyed every minute of the show.

It's just so funny. SO funny. I laughed so hard I was crying. Everyone in the audience was laughing. The woman behind me was guffawing nonstop.

The show takes place in Northampton, England and I wonder how it would be received by a British audience. There were jokes that no doubt went over an American audience's head.

Okay. So the reason I wanted to see this show was because Stark Sands is in it, and he was the one  cast member of American Idiot that I saw all three times I saw it on Broadway. He did not disappoint. At all. His voice was perfect. His British accent was surprisingly perfect (except when he sang, but the whole cast had that issue). His character is annoying, yes, but it's all worth it in the end when he comes out wearing the boots. In Act 2, he sings a power ballad that he just positively nailed. It was actually very funny because he was pulling out the moves he used in American Idiot. Seriously, watch any clip of him performing in AI and then compare that to what he does onstage during this song, and it's like watching Tunny (his AI character) perform in front of a show factory in England. Classic. I was dying. I have no idea if anyone else in the audience had any clue, but for me it was pretty great.

Then there's Billy Porter who just knocked it out of the park. I'm sure he'll be getting a standing ovation for at least one of his songs on opening night. His voice was so interesting but beautiful and worked well with the music and the costumes he got to wear were EPIC.

And Annaleigh Ashford, who I saw in Dogfight Off-Broadway twice last summer, killed it. She has one song, but everyone was talking about it during intermission. She was phenomenal.

There wasn't much for the supporting cast in terms of singing, but the "Angels" (Porter's character's team of drag queens) rocked it... and left us all wondering whether they were female or male. The program credits them as men, but I won't believe that until I see the dance belts...

The costumes were incredible. The lighting was surprisingly interesting and dynamic.

I don't care what you think you know about this show or what preconceived notions you may have... it's really really good, and SO MUCH FUN.


No comments:

Post a Comment