Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Studio 54
Rear Mezzanine, Row JJ, Seat 4
December 22, 2012 (8:00pm)

Thoughts:
This is one of those shows that I would have regretted not seeing. You know that awkward moment when you're watching the Tony Awards and a show performs and you're like "DAYUUMM why didn't I see that?!" That happens to me a lot, and I know for a fact that it would've been the case again had I not decided on a whim to rush this show.

First of all, the theater is beautiful. It made me wonder why all Broadway theaters aren't just like it... there didn't seem to be any sight-line issues and I was in the rear mezzanine all the way on the side. I thought for sure my seat would be restricted view, but it wasn't at all. Super impressed with the layout of the theater.

I loved that the ushers and theater staff were dressed up in the fashion that the actors were wearing onstage. That always provides for an experience rather than just a show. It makes the audience feel like the action is bigger than just what is happening onstage. And of course, with this show in particular, the action happens throughout the theater. Actors were in the audience many times throughout the performance.

For avid Broadway fans, this show is a pretty epic cast -- Will Chase, Andy Karl, Stephanie J. Block, Jessie Mueller, Chita Rivera, Betsy Wolfe, and many more "famous" faces. Of course I saw an understudy for Block, but she was great and it's not like I had anything to compare her to since I hadn't seen the show before.

Obviously the big event in this show is the fact that every night it could end differently. Normally I'm not a huge fan of any kind of audience participation AT ALL. But this was done well and in the end it was necessary for very obvious reasons. The night I saw the show, Bazaar was the detective, Rosa was the murderer, and the Landless siblings were the lovers. If you haven't seen the show you have no idea what I just said.

None of the music is particularly memorable except for "Moonfall" and that's no doubt the best song in the show anyway. I'll be interested to hear the recording and see if I remember any of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment