Monday, January 11, 2016

The Humans

Okay this one is a long time coming. Sorry about that!

Where do I even begin with this show? It's honestly impossible for me to think about how "The Humans" will be on a Broadway stage. To me, the show requires an intimacy that's hard to find in commercial theater (of course I say that lovingly).

But I have some good news... I liked almost everything about this production. Wow! If you've seen the show, you can probably guess what I didn't like. I don't want to give anything away, but just know that there's a sort of supernatural aspect that didn't quite fit. But other than that? Strong story, incredibly strong acting, great set, interesting dialogue. "The Humans" was a great family drama and I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it before the move to Broadway. The ending of the play was breathtaking, even with the supernatural poking through. The story was filled with twists and turns, most of which I wasn't expecting, which is always fun because it's rare that theater surprises these days.

It was also so real. Although this family's experiences aren't the same as my own, I related to so much throughout the show. Being a twenty-something living in NYC in a relatively shitty apartment that you constantly tell your parents is "fine" was definitely something I could relate to. Dysfunctional families are my favorite -- whether on page, stage, or screen. I felt invested in the characters and wanted to know what would happen next.

"The Humans" will make you think about your own life and experiences and family. I wanted to see more, but I also wanted it to end so I could be set free from the tension created onstage. I highly recommend this show. It's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment