Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tonys 2015 Noms (nom nom nom nom nom)

8:58 am: Playbill.com refuses to load for me.
8:59 am: Gave up on Playbill.com and switched over to Broadwayworld.com

Okay. So disclaimer, I didn't see a whole lot this season because 1) I don't live in NYC right now and 2) Broadway is expensive and I'm but a lowly college grad with no income (yet...) But I'm going to do my best and predict winners anyway, because although I haven't physically sat in the audience for all of them, I like to think I keep pretty well informed. If there's a category I really can't predict, it'll be notated.


Click here for list of nominations.

Best Play
I only saw one of the plays in this category, and it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen on Broadway. But I think it closed too soon to be remembered, and thus the race is really between Hand to God and Curious Incident. I've heard amazing things about both, and since I've seen neither I can't make a final prediction.

Best Musical
Again, I only saw one of these musicals, which is just depressing. Based on reviews alone, the race is between An American in Paris and Fun Home. My prediction is An American in Paris just because it's the one I saw and I absolutely adored every second.

Best Revival of a Play
Wow. I sucked at seeing shows this year. I only saw This is Our Youth, and as much as I love that show, it's not going to win. I can't make a prediction here.

Best Revival of a Musical
Oh how I wish I could be absolutely positively certain that On the Town is taking this category by storm. I'm going to predict On the Town just because I am in love with the production, the cast, and its journey from Pittsfield, MA.

Best Book of a Musical
Haven't seen it yet, but Fun Home will win here.

Best Original Score 
Can I be completely honest? I want The Last Ship to win here, but it won't. My guess is Fun Home.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play
What a crazy category this year -- and I'm saying that having seen none of these performances. Based on what I know, I think it'll be between Steven Boyer and Alex Sharp. But obviously the rest of the world is rooting for Bradley Cooper. Also, Cooper winning a Tony would be good press . . .

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play
I mean, Helen Mirren should probably win.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical
All five of these men deserve this award. My heart says Tony Yazbeck, but my head says Robert Fairchild. And the world says one of the other three. It's a toss up in my opinion.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical
Again, how could one possibly choose?! I think Kelli O'Hara will win, because she was totally snubbed last year, and gosh that woman is just amazing. But Fun Home . . .

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play
Absolutely no opinion/prediction here.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play
I'm guessing Sarah Stiles for Hand to God.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical
Max von Essen deserves this Tony. Christian Borle will win this Tony.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical
Judy Kuhn for Fun Home. If it's not her, it will be one of the other two women/girls from Fun Home.

Best Scenic Design of a Play
My bet is on Curious Incident.

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
No clue, although An American in Paris had some pretty neat set stuff going on.

Best Costume Design of a Play
The costuming for Wolf Hall looked unbelievable. My money is on Wolf Hall.

Best Costume Design of a Musical
How is one to choose?! They're all so different, but all so good. 

Best Lighting Design of a Play
Curious Incident.

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Fun Home.

Best Direction of a Play
Hand to God.

Best Direction of a Musical
Oh this is a tough one. Big names here. My money is on John Rando, but really it could be any of the five.

Best Choreography
Josh Bergasse deserves it, Christopher Wheeldon will win. Or in a total upset, Scott Graham & Steven Hoggett for Frantic Assembly (Curious Incident) will come out on top.

Best Orchestrations
Wow. This is some tough competition. I'm just going to say Fun Home.


So there's my predictions, or at least some of them. I probably won't be very accurate, but it's still fun to predict. Do a little looking around this blog if you haven't read reviews on the shows I did see this season. They're all here. And tune in June 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment