Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bring It On: The Musical

St. James Theater
Front Mezzanine, Row D, Seat 101
December 22, 2012 (2:00pm)

Thoughts:
This was my second time seeing this show. My first time was opening night on August 1, 2012.

The creative team behind this show is genius. You might've seen/heard of "In The Heights" or "Next to Normal" or "Avenue Q"... if you haven't you should be ashamed. Anyway, the composers and lyricists behind this musical are just fabulous so it was no surprise to find that the music was great.

I am a huge fan of this show. It's one of those pieces of theater that could purely be entertainment unless you have the brain to actually analyze what you've just seen. And trust me, I analyzed the crap out of this musical.

I honestly think there's a pretty deep lesson if you're willing to peel away the stunts and silly lyrics. The big telling moment for me is Randall's solo song in Act II, "Enjoy The Trip" where he explains that our high school years are nothing more than a blip in time. If only tweens really understood just how little high school means in the end...

Watching "Bring It On" is watching athletes onstage and that's something we don't get to see everyday. The woman sitting in front of me had her hand covering her mouth the entire time so she didn't gasp out loud when cast members were practically flying in the air.

When I first hear about this show I was like "eww no." I don't go for fluffy musicals. Ever. And I thought this was just going to be for tweens and fans of the movie (which I have never seen). I was totally wrong. Sure, it's fluffy and geared towards 13-year-olds. But it's actually awesome to watch it when you're a few years out of high school.

The cast is spectacular. I don't think the team could've found a more perfect cast if they used some sci-fi computer program and cheerleader clones. 

I was sad to see it close early, but it had a good run. I have no doubt we will see this show pop up again whether on tour or in another city.

Favorite Songs:
It's All Happening
Enjoy The Trip
Do Your Own Thing
What I Was Born To Do

No comments:

Post a Comment