Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bare

New World Stages (Off-Broadway)
Orchestra, Row E, Seat 105
December 21, 2012 (8:00pm)

Thoughts:
I am such a fan. I can't say that I know all that much about the other versions that have been produced, but I know that this revamped version is fantastic. Most of it. I thought it was too long and there some things that could definitely be cut or just don't have to be included.

The reason I wanted to see this show in the first place was because I am a big fan of the choreographer, Travis Wall. Fire up Google if you don't know him. I started watching his show last summer and have been a fan ever since. In London I became intrigued by modern dance and I was more than excited to see Wall's choreography in a musical. It didn't disappoint. The second the first song started and the cast started to move I was engrossed.

There wasn't any one particular performer that blew me away and was more impressive than anyone else. I think they were all equal, which was refreshing because no one was out-shadowed. Yeah I had my favorite characters based purely on reasoning from the plot, but other than that I enjoyed watching everyone. Also I like weird voices... like voices that are not typical musical theater-y voices, and pretty voices were few and far between in this show.

I'm so glad I didn't know the plot or the ending before seeing "Bare" because there's nothing like being shocked out of your pants and having your mind blown at an ending. I didn't cry, but everyone around me was sobbing. It was a shocking ending, there's not much else to say about it.

The intermission was unfortunate. I wished this had been along the lines of a 90-minute rock/pop opera like "American Idiot" (which had an intermission when I saw it in London and I wanted to die because it ruined the flow). Still, I was glad I got to spend 2.5 hours with these characters. So 90-minutes would've felt way too short, but 2.5 hours felt way too long. Maybe it's just because I could not have cared less about the two adult characters...

This was my first time seeing anything at New World Stages, and I have to say that I loved the space. It was the perfect atmosphere for this show. The whole vibe was very London-esque with the bar and the people milling around before and after the show.

Favorite songs:
Are You There?
Best Kept Secret
Bare
Portrait of a Girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment