Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Really Really

Everyone needs to see this show.

Okay, so first I need to say that the audience was not what I was expecting. I thought the draw for this show was Zosia Mamet from "Girls" and therefore the audience would be made up of young people. It wasn't. It was a Saturday matinee, so old people were expected, but in general the entire audience was a lot older than I thought it would be.

In London I saw a lot of theater that was shocking and very explicit and gritty and sexual. Theater over there (well, stuff that's not West End) is much more uncensored than it is here. To say I was excited when I walked into the theater and saw the set and felt like I was back in London seeing a fringe show is an understatement. The best thing shows I saw in London were in theaters that felt like the Lucille Lortel with sets that looked like that of Really Really.

This show felt very British in terms of production value. The lighting design and execution was phenomenal and the set and set changes were out of this world. It was great. So so good.

I completely understand why this show did not get good reviews. Unless you're living in the same kind of world that the characters are living in, it would be super hard to relate to. Fortunately for me (and the friend I saw the show with), we are at the point in our lives where there was a something we could relate to in every character. The whole atmosphere was so college and so edgy and just insane. I love it. The play itself was very interesting and there were surprises at every corner.

I can't enough good things about this show, or rather I can't think of anything I didn't like... at all.

Really Really left me wanting to crawl out of my skin and shaking with discomfort for hours after.


No comments:

Post a Comment