Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Macbeth

Monday, May 13th.

I can say for sure that I don't think I heard one audience member utter the dreaded title of this play while in the theater.

I rushed the show that morning and had a seat in the box so I knew my view would be restricted. Unfortunately it was very restricted and I missed everything that happened on stage left both upstage and downstage.

Alan Cumming was unbelievable. Honestly, it was just amazing to watch him perform. I cannot even fathom what it takes to do what he did for an hour and forty-five minutes. Just unreal. I spent the entire show just wanting to hug him, which is probably not how I was supposed to feel, but he just seemed adorable.

The one issue I had with the show was towards the end when the nurse went down on one knee and replied as a solider. To me, that broke the entire concept and proved that it was flawed. Throughout the entire show you believe that Alan Cumming is acting out the story of Macbeth in his head and he's being monitored in an insane asylum/hospital by the two nurses. The nurses never respond to him, only coming to check him out when they think he has self-mutilated or needs sedating from working himself up. Then all of a sudden the male nurse is part of the play... why? That was really strange and not clear as to why it happened. The overall concept worked, but only up until that point.

I'm very glad I got to experience this production. Good stuff happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment