Monday, October 19, 2015

The Gin Game

Alright. So, I'm writing this after the reviews came out, and the NY Times review is a rave as I knew it would be. I'll start by saying I was given a comp to the show, and it's no shock that my opinions on shows can be skewed when I don't pay for my ticket.

By no means was this a bad piece of theater, but it just wasn't exciting or noteworthy. I cannot imagine paying full price to just sit and watch these two actors (no doubt they're legends) bicker and play gin rummy for two hours. Someone told me that the show was basically watching your grandparents fighting except on a stage. But why do I want to see that when I could just experience it? (Well not anymore if you know what I mean, but at one point I could've.)

I'm glad I got to see James Earl Jones and Cicily Tyson onstage - both were great. I have nothing bad to say about the play, production, or performances. I just didn't really care about what was happening. I didn't have much of a stake in the outcome. The play went around and around in circles, never really going anywhere. The audience seemed to be LOVING it, totally eating every word up. At one point I turned to my friend and asked why the audience was applauding, because really there was rarely a need for the abundance of applause. People were getting so into it! And I was kind of like oh okay well I'm glad I saw Mufasa onstage before... well, before he can't perform any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment