Monday, October 19, 2015

The 39 Steps

Last year when I was at McCarter, I saw Ken Ludwig's "Baskerville" many times and experienced the show from the inside out. I wish I had seen "39 Steps" BEFORE seeing "Baskerville" because they're so similar and one clearly took tropes and ideas from the other. The Off-Broadway production of "39 Steps" was very low-key and seemingly low-budget. The acting, aside from the lone woman who was an understudy, was superb. The lone woman didn't seem to know what it means to project because I had trouble hearing her throughout the show.

I like the Union Square Theatre quite a bit and it was the perfect location for this show. Unfortunately the audience was very small - maybe 100 people were there. But every single person on that stage gave off the aura that they were having fun and loving every second of the performance. That's an amazing feeling as an audience member - to feel like the actors aren't concerned about the number of butts in seats, but rather just living in the moment and performing.

I didn't dislike the show, but I didn't love it either. Nothing blew me away, but I enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment