Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Prodigal Son

Today (this was 1/31) I saw an interesting little play produced by MTC but at City Center's Stage 1 -- the same theater I saw Ripcord in a few months ago). It's really a great little space, aside from the lack of leg room -- if I can't cross my legs in front of me in a theater, no one can. Anyway, that's beside the point. This play, Prodigal Son by John Patrick Shanley was an interesting and gripping look at a teenage boy going through an existential crisis. It's like part identity crisis and figuring out who he is, and part trying to define his place in the world and fight adversity brought on by his not feeling like he's good enough. I'm a total sucker for these kinds of plays. Give me teenage boys having identity crises any day and I'm happy.

It wasn't perfect by any means -- the play itself has some flaws. But Timothée Chalamet was completely stunning as the 17-year-old boy from the Bronx trying to find his place at an elite boarding school in New England. Obviously those who grew up in this particular environment (looking at you, Nicole) will have a certain connection to the piece that I didn't have. Still, I found it to be an interesting look at how important it is to know yourself and know when the elders you are entrusting with your life have a hidden agenda.

Also, the set was great. I wasn't crazy about the forced perspective -- there was something off about it, not small enough I think. But the feeling of New England and the changing seasons was captured quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment