Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Catch The Butcher

(I'M SO BEHIND! I saw this show a few weeks ago...)

My mind wasn't blown, but I had an enjoyable time. This show didn't leave me with too much to think about -- other than why in the word someone thought it was a good idea to have seating be general admission.

I was a die-hard fan of the television show Dexter up until the last two seasons when it just imploded on itself and was too shitty to stomach. Lauren Luna Velez who played Lt. Maria LaGuerta on Dexter was once again thrust into the world of a serial killer in "Catch The Butcher" at the Cherry Lane Theatre. I never really cared for her on TV and I didn't really care for onstage. She wasn't bad, just okay. Jonathan Walker, playing the serial killer, was just fabulous. Absolutely perfect for the role and I enjoyed all of his moments. The third character (played by Angelina Fiordellisi, who is the Producing Artistic Director of Cherry Lane Theatre) added a bit of comic relief and was very good, if not slightly annoying.

My biggest issue with the production was the lighting. There were so many blackouts to indicate the passage of time. But blackouts just make me want to take a nap, and they totally throw me off and take me out of the world of the play. I totally understand what the production was trying to get across with the blackouts but I wish the stage didn't go dark as often as it did. I found my mind wandering during every blackout, and there were so many that basically my mind was constantly wandering. 

Aside from ridiculous audience behavior, it was an enjoyable evening at the theater. I got to experience a new (well, new to me) Off-Broadway theater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment