Thursday, June 18, 2015

Something Rotten!

I bought my ticket on TodayTix and used a code, bringing the price to $37. Not bad. The only issue was that I'm not good with heights and the balcony at the St. James Theatre is pretty damn steep. Needless to say I spent the majority of the show trying not to freak out about the location of my seat. Despite the location of my seat, I had a fantastic time at Something Rotten! and I would highly recommend the show to anyone who is looking for a solid night at the theater.

I saw the show a week after Christian Borle won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical, and the audience was living for his performance. He was fun to watch, as was the rest of the cast. There were a few members of the ensemble that were impossible not to watch during the dances -- Eric Sciotto was a total standout. This was my first time seeing Brian D'Arcy James, Christian Borle, and Heidi Blickenstaff in a show (I missed Borle in Starcatcher by just a few days), and all three are fantastic performers. John Cariani, who I last saw play Dogberry in Much Ado About Nothing at Barrington Stage Company, was adorable and endearing. Really, I don't have anything all that exciting to say about any of the actors because they were all great and there wasn't one casting decision I didn't agree with or would've liked to change.

The show literally stopped a few times because of extended applause. There were two huge numbers that got the audience on their feet for a standing ovation in the middle of the show! It was exciting and crazy and even though it was the final show of a five-show weekend, the cast appeared to be having a great time. 

Was the show perfect? No. Brilliant? Eh, it had it's moments. Offensive? Definitely. A lot of fun? Yes.

Something Rotten! wasn't life changing, but I had a really great time. Also, I am loving listening to the cast recording. A musical that has music enjoyable enough to just listen to without watching the action is a hit with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment