Thursday, November 13, 2014

Disgraced

I'm a picky theater-goer. You all know that by now. It takes A LOT to impress me, to make me speechless, to knock the earth out from under my feet, and to make my heart ache for hours after walking out of the theater.

Disgraced did all of that.

When I stood up to leave after the curtain call, my legs were shaking because I had been so tense throughout the entire play that my muscles cramped.

It was enthralling.

Let's just throw the word "brilliant" into the mix. Because man, I don't know when the next time I'll see something this fantastic will be. When I was in London (Fall 2012 -- LONDON BLOG), I saw theater that knocked my socks off. I saw theater that pushed the boundaries of what I believed theater could be, do, make me feel. So for me, Disgraced felt straight out of the London theater scene -- it's London premiere was at the Bush Theater where I saw a pretty damn interesting piece of theater.

Hari Dhillon, playing Amir Kapoor, was outstanding. First of all, he's gorgeous -- did I mention I was sitting in row AA, seat 107? His facial expressions, the absolute intensity on his face at all times, and the odd way he often didn't make direct eye contact with others (something you wouldn't notice from further back).

Honestly, if you want to know more about what I thought, just ask. I can (and have been) talking about this show nonstop. I'm not a vocal audience member, but I was gasping out loud with the rest of the audience. And I didn't want it to end. I wanted to sit in the theater and find out what happens next. I was heartbroken when the curtain came down.

There's so much more I have to say, but it's literally impossible to get my thoughts down in writing. 

Every once in a while there's a show that makes you feel something, like deep in your chest, an actual ache. Disgraced did it for me. I urge you all to make the time to see it, and if you want to know how to get tickets for $35 just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment